Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sleepless in Irving

Since he was born, Nicholas has enjoyed sleeping in his swing. I was too tired to fight this propensity and promised myself I would do it when he turned three months old. So last Sunday, we started having him sleep in the crib. He is up about every hour (sometimes more). Most of the time we just rewrap him in his swaddle and give him his pacifier. He then goes right back to sleep. He is a little Houdini about getting out of his swaddle. After the first full night in the crib, I discovered in the morning that he has created a nice big bald spot on the back of his head.

Bald is beautiful.

We also have started up again our battle against Nicholas's thrush. After two rounds of Nystain we are trying the old school remedy of Gentian Violet. It is a messy treatment which dyes all his spit up and drool bright purple.

Nicholas as the happy purple people eater.

Today feels like spring!!! We enjoyed a lovely walk around our neighborhood.



Highlights of the week include: getting 6 free gallons of milk at the American Airlines center, dressing Nicholas in all his 3-6 month old clothes, visiting Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine (a 300,000-square-foot man store), eating dinner at Dr. Jenkins house (best butternut squash I have ever had!), teaching my sunbeam class (I FINALLY have a calling!), and Joseph finishing embryology.

5 comments:

Christina Muhlestein said...

Oh man! That sounds like so much fun! I think Nicholas is somewhat attractive with purple lips.

walkerbunch said...

Nicholas is getting so cute! I love it when they start gaining weight. I remember Bass Pro shop. -We had family pictures done with a big stuffed bear inside the store. Is that still there? Sounds like you're finding your way around over there. I sure miss it.

Elisabeth said...

So cute! I love the picture of him smiling for the springy day!!! Thanks for keeping us updated!

PML said...

I love the bright purple spit up! If you want some unsolicited advice, here it is. I kept Kallie in the swing until she was 4 or 5 months old. She was so big and it barely could swing with her in it anymore. I had to buckle her in pretty good. Anyway, by the time I put her in the crib, she was delighted! I suggest keeping him in the swing if he likes it. Eventually he won't like it when he gets too big.

Jen York said...

Hey! I just found your blog! I'm so sorry that you had such an awful week in December. I know how it goes! We just laid down $3,300 for our 1995 Accord. Yesterday. It still hurts! Hopefully you'll be able to get more sleep soon. It's a good thing that newborns are so dang cute! If there is anything that I can do for you, let me know. I'm just up the street from you! Oh, I'm SO EXCITED you're the other Sunbeams teacher. Aren't they the best!?!