Monday, September 8, 2008

And the Race (for Medical School) Begins



Well, I have started interviewing for medical school. I left on Wed. for New York and got there Wed. evening to stay with a host family. They were very nice, and it turned out that they were good friends of Uncle David's family and had also lived in our ward at BYU for a week after we moved in and before they moved out.
They provided me with a good dinner, a shower, and a bed to sleep on which was very nice as I got ready for Thursday morning. I was at the school at 7:45 eastern time (5:45 mountain), and found that I was one of five people from Utah, out of the ten total that interviewed. Apparently BYU students like Rochester. The day included a campus tour, a nice lunch, and two interviews. They both seemed to go fine and I received no official rejections during the day. The campus was very nice as well, and upstate New York is gorgeously green.
That afternoon I was taken to the airport and headed to Houston to interview at UTMB in Galveston. Sadly, no reception met me this time, and I waited until after midnight to get the cheaper price on my rental car and watched X-Men while I waited on my laptop. I finally got my car, drove to Galveston, and had dinner at the Whataburger. Seeing Whataburger and HEB definitely made it feel like my mission which was comforting since I'd never been there before. I finally pulled off the road in a residential neigborhood around 2:30 and slept in the back of the car (it was a hatchback gratefully), until about 7:00. I went back to the Whataburger to clean up a little bit, and was the first one to arrive for the interview around 7:30.
This time there were about 60 people, and I only found one other BYU student. Out of the 60, only about 7 were not from Texas, so I felt special to be there. I again had my two interviews, lunch, and a tour of the campus. It was also a very nice campus, and I was especially taken with how you could park your motorcycle at the bike racks right outside of your building. It also felt a lot like my time in Port Isabel so the familiarity of the climate made it feel a little more homey.
I finished up and raced back to the airport. I got home at 11:30 mountain time, and was grateful for a soft bed and the chance to see my wife. It was exciting, but now I have to catch up on school and get ready to do it all again in a month when I have a three school whirlwind tour.

4 comments:

Michael Muhlestein said...

Well, you have my audience as you do all of this insanity with plane. Make sure to tell all of us whether you get accepted or rejected (as if you wouldn't!)

Kathryn said...

Nice: sleeping in the car. I like it. If you move to the beach, I will come visit you. Come to Ultimate Frisbee on Saturday!

Christina said...

My vote is Texas, that way Tanner and I wouldn't have to pay for a place to stay before our cruise. I also think it's cool that I am related to you and you were only one of a few people out of Texas to be looked at. Which basically means I am a genious too. (I write this as I spell genious wrong).

~*Jen*~ said...

Sounds like you were fortunate to get some sleep at all! Sounds like they went well and hopefully will do the same when you do it all again next month! H