Friday, July 18, 2008

Where we are and how we're doing (aka Christmas in July)








I figure that I've left the pictures of random cables as the first post long enough, and have now taken it upon myself to give a big picture catch-up for all those who don't know what is going on right now in Maren's and mine lives. For those of you who already know what we are up to, this probably won't be very interesting, but in the spirit of the golden rule and this being the type of post I would be interested in reading from others, I thought I would give it a try.

Maren:
She graduated Summa Cum Laude from BYU in nursing last December, and began working at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center and two other hospitals as well as a nurse for their Mother-Baby department, along with the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Pediatrics. The position is known as a "master float" where they guarantee your hours but they pull you to different units where they need extra help. She also found that on her days off she didn't like sitting around, so she got a fun job at the mall in a scrapbooking store called Archivers.

More recently, she decided to change jobs and is now working at the Utah State Developmental Center in American Fork where she works with the mentally impaired. She is just finishing up her training and preparing to work independently soon.

Joseph:
I am still meandering my way through my physics major. I should graduate in April of next year and hopefully will be off to medical school. I am currently doing a research program through the physics department which boils down to a 40 hr./week job until mid August. I am also writing essays and paying money to various medical schools as I try to sell myself to them and convince them that they want to teach me to be a doctor. I was also elected as a Society of Physics Students officer for the BYU chapter, so it should be fun to plan nerdy physics socials next year.

I am also looking forward to a trip to Berkeley to work on the Advanced Light Source at the government lab there. I will go at the beginning of August and hopefully will get some work done that I will use to complete my thesis. I also just bought a fishing pole and am eager to go use it with my also recently purchased fishing license.

Us:
Things are going well for the family as a whole. At the end of June we finished living in our hobbit hole where we lived for 10 months. The apartment was 325 sq.ft. and certainly felt it. Mostly we are grateful that we found a place which let us save up for school and it certainly felt like home. We are now living on the south-east corner of campus in a 475 sq.ft. apartment and it feels more like 1000 sq.ft. compared to the last one. Maren has done a great job of getting us organized and we are grateful that it also has air-conditioning or all the space in the world might not have made it worth the move. Believe it or not, the reason for the move wasn't just to upgrade, but because the other place is going to be ripped down before too long and we decided to take another good deal when it was available.

In addition to moving, we have also gone on some trips. Most notably we went to Hawaii at the beginning of May with Maren's family and had a ball. If you haven't done so already, you can check out the details in a past post. We also took a trip down to Arches and Dead Horse Point with my research program a few weeks ago. We are still eager to travel more and if anyone wants tag-along travel companions, feel free to look us up.


So that is us. If you think that we left something out, feel free to put it in the comments. More importantly, feel free to give a similar post on your blog as we would love to hear updates from everyone.

PS
After writing this, it kind of sounded like a Christmas Card, so for what it's worth, MERRY CHRISTMAS (in 5 months and 7 days).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

happy decemberween

Kathryn said...

Oooo, working at a scrapbook store sounds fun! I hope you are enjoying both your new jobs, Maren.

PML said...

And Merry Christmas to you, too.

~*Jen*~ said...

Yea! Christmas in July! LOL

Sounds like you both are doing well! Hopefully we'll be seeing you in a few weeks for our little wedding thing-a-ma-widger ;)